I am throwing this back. I did this post almost two years ago, but I still hold true to it. I have included a few fashion staples that I have kept forever because I think the brand and style is figure flattering. I know the boots are crazy expensive, but they are a classic. Now onto the food…
I get asked a lot what I eat, and I have this ongoing joke with my husband and best girlfriends that I run 6 miles in the morning, eat nothing til noon…when I’m about to pass out, eat an oreo, drink 2 lattes, go out to dinner and drink ONLY a bottle of red wine, get home and eat everything not nailed to the floor. Wake up the next day swollen and hating myself…the END! 😉 Hahaha…sometimes this is the absolute TRUTH!!! But it is usually when I am in a bad place mentally, I’m PMSing, having an exceptionally bad day…whatever. Food is my crack!! I turn to it when I can’t deal emotionally. HOWEVER, after years of trying all kinds of diets….literally everything….I’ve come out the other side. Low carb…your breath stinks, you have no energy and you’re constipated…awesome!! A Raw Food diet…your skin is glowing, you crap like a Christmas goose…but unless you can make yourself eat 72 bananas and 4 boxes of blueberries for just a snack, you’re starving!!! You need soooooo much food on this diet because fruits and veggies have very little calories. I won’t go into every diet I have tried, but people do South Beach, Paleo…whatever!! Here’s what I know about myself, once you tell me I CAN’T have something…I will dream that bit** into reality. Tell me I can’t drink coffee…I will pass a Starbucks on every errand I run that week. Tell me I can’t eat sugar…every commercial on t.v. while I fold laundry will have Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. You get what I’m saying? Then I’m left sitting with my thoughts (literally the worst place for me to sit, I’d be better off next to Jeffrey Dahmer in a dark alley)…I’m like SCREW THIS!!! This is NOT living!!! The literal WORST thing about a diet…eating out and traveling. You can’t enjoy local flavor, and you can’t order shi*!!! “Um, yes…I’ll have a plain chicken breast…that’s only cooked in coconut oil, right? Okay, I’ll settle for olive, a handful of almonds…do you have those? A side salad with no dressing, no croutons and no cheese….just plain water…oh, but bottled, preferably Smart water if you have that…no bread basket within 5 tables next to me, and don’t even THINK about bringing the dessert menu.” Then your friends are eating pasta, smearing butter on bread, drinking wine, eating canolis, laughing it up…and you just sit there and go, “Italy…what a stupid country, I hate it here…who cares it’s got more history than the history channel could air in a lifetime, birthed the best chefs in the world and is home to Missoni and the POPE!!!!!!!!! I can’t eat ANYTHING…and now my friends are drunk, full and making jokes about the Statue of David’s penis”…and all you’re thinking is “what a bunch of immature hookers” because you just had a crappy lunch IN Europe because you don’t eat gluten…or whatever!!! Now, I KNOW some people are forced to follow gluten, dairy free, whatever because of allergies or autoimmune problems…that is an entirely different animal. Others are dedicated simply because they are better informed than me…I do think gluten MIGHT be the devil, but I can’t be sure. I could make one of those up, but I’m just normal…I do try to watch soy because it tends to flair up my eczema…annnnnywaaayyyyy!!! My point is…be in tune with to YOUR body, enjoy your life, food is your friend. It is delicious, social, and vital to a healthy life. Soooo, with all of that being said…I’ve tried to narrow it down to 6 things that work for me…again, for ME!!!
1. Eat when you’re hungry. I didn’t say wait til you’re starving to death…because if you do that, by the time you’ve come up for air…you’ve gone through a box of wheat thins and 2 bowls of cereal. But LISTEN to your body!!! We Americans eat WAAYYYY too much food. And eat small portions (this is my BIGGEST tip…STOP EATING SO MUCH!!!). If you’re still hungry in an hour, go eat some more…unless you’re reading this with Sally Struthers taping a Feed The Hungry commercial…you be fine!! There’s always another meal in a couple hours. I cringe when I hear parents tell their kids to “clean their plates”…noooooo!!!!! Eat when you are hungry…listen to what your body is telling you. We’ve created a generation of kids that eat just because it’s 12pm and it’s “lunchtime, damnit!” Offer them healthy snacks and meals, and if they aren’t hungry yet… let them play, I promise they’ll come back when they’re hungry. Now, if this happens all the time and especially at family dinner…I’ll cut out snacks for a week and solve that pretty quick like!
2. Choose good food!!! I joked about being in Italy…and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY believe what I said. I’m by no means saying to never eat a donut, enjoy a night out, let it go on vacation…or whatever. Because like I said, I think HOW MUCH you eat is really the key. However, when I am in my daily routine…I try to limit the crap that goes into my mouth. The best thing to do…don’t keep it in your house!! Because, then not only do you eat it, but so do your kids. And eat REAL FOOD. Just say to yourself, “if I left out what I’m about to put in my mouth on the counter for a couple hours, would it brown or spoil?” If the answer is NO, don’t eat it.
3. Fiber, fiber and more fiber…and I’m not talking about Fiber One Bars, those things are a good way to end up in the hospital because you’re dehydrated from diarrhea…or have everyone talk about you at the water cooler because your office smells like a dog kennel. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, good carbs like quinoa…limit pasta, etc. Fiber makes and keeps you fuller longer, and it keeps you regular…so you won’t overeat and will naturally eliminate bad foods.
4. Drink water…period. I admitted I don’t love water…but you need at least 64oz a day. Sometimes you are actually thirsty when you think you are hungry. Water helps with digestion, gives you clearer skin, get your water!!
5. Keep a food diary!! I don’t need to do this anymore because I can mentally add up about how many calories I’ve eaten if I was asked to at gunpoint, but I’m a big believer in calories in vs calories out. If you want to lose weight, you MUST burn more than what you take in. It’s really that simple. Again, I know some people (especially women and tons of moms…damn you hormones) have thyroid and other issues working against you…but try to be aware of how many calories you eat if you want to lose or just maintain your weight.
6. Finally…MOVE!!!!!!!!!!! Walk your dog, swim, ride your bike, go to the gym, take a yoga class…find 30-an hour a day to do something active. My dad (who was blessed with great genetics and has never even sniffed a weight problem in his life…plus he’s a man…thank you, testosterone) used to buy all kinds of exercise equipment, then hang his pants off the handles of the stationary bike so my mom would know they needed to be laundered (insert eye roll). Get OUT of your house, take in the sunshine, get your vitamin D, make friends at a gym…do SOMETHING everyday.
And this diatribe would not be complete without admitting that “I love Jesus, but I do drink a little!” (Ellen? Anybody? I want to be her best friend) So, I absolutely try and limit my wine drinking to the weekends and be extra careful with my caloric intake if I know I have an event or whatever…or do an extra 15 minutes on the treadmill. But I will tell you…when I do put on a few lbs…and I do!!! It is generally the wine…I love it…I’m sorry…and I don’t want to be skinny bad enough to give it up…so I try to work around it as best I can!!
Tell me if you have eating tips that you swear by…I’m always ALL ears when it comes to this subject. Nothing makes my skin crawl worse than a woman saying, “I don’t know…I just eat what I want and look like this…it’s amazeballs!!! I feel so bad for all the normal people hehe!” I ain’t got NO time for those liars…